Updated: Tuesday, 06 Jan 2009, 7:12 AM CST
Published : Tuesday, 06 Jan 2009, 7:10 AM CST
BURLINGTON (AP) - The Burlington Liars Club revealed on Monday its 2008 Champion Lie as part of an annual contest to craft the biggest whopper. Below are the winning entry and the six runners-up.
- "My grandson is the most persuasive liar I have ever met. By the time he was 2 years old he could dirty his diaper and make his mother believe someone else had done it." - by Garth Seehawer of Oconto Falls.
Runners-up, in random order:
- "On a recent flight from New York to LA, we were watching the in-flight movie called Cocoon. It was during a pool scene that we encountered some very violent turbulence. It was so rough that the water in the pool in the movie splashed out onto the passengers and an onboard life raft inflated!! The flight crew had to hand out towels to dry us all off!!" - by Jim Kubath, of Palm Springs, Calif.
- "It used to be in the winter when I walked into my house my glasses would fog up. But now, at the cost of fuel, I have my temperature down so low that when I go outside my glasses fog up." - by Jerry Olson, of Bonduel.
- "I knew I had to lose weight when both the automatic in and out doors opened when I entered the grocery store." - by Michael E. Peters, of Fox Point.
- "When my uncle wakes up in the morning he often yawns and says, 'I could stretch a mile.' Of course, he never does since he's too lazy to walk back." - by Ellen Everts, of New London.
- "This summer with gas at $4.25 per gallon, I drove up to a prepay gas station and asked the lady clerk for $5 worth of gas. She (broke wind) and handed me a receipt!" - by Gene C. Lasch, of Shawano.
- "I have three German shepherds, outside dogs. This morning, it was SO cold outside that one of my dogs was trying to 'jump start' the other!!!!!!!" - by Richard Bosanko, of Bristol.