SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — An autopsy has found that artist Thomas Kinkade's death was caused by an accidental overdose of alcohol and prescription tranquilizers.
NBC Bay Area News reported Monday that the Santa Clara County medical examiner concluded that the self-described "Painter of Light" stopped breathing at his Northern California home on April 6 from a combination of alcohol and Valium.
Before his death, the 54-year-old Kinkade produced sentimental scenes of country gardens and pastoral landscapes that he sold in a nationwide chain of galleries.
In recent years, however, he had run into personal difficulties, including a 2010 bankruptcy filing by one of his companies.
His brother has said Kinkade battled alcoholism and relapsed before his death.
A judge last month issued a restraining order against a former girlfriend that prevents her from talking about the late painter.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Explorers who removed a wooden slab from Lake Michigan this summer are taking an unusual step to determine whether it could have come from Le Griffon, a long-lost vessel from the 17th century.
A Green Bay-based beef processing company has submitted the minimum $12.75 million bid for an idled South Dakota plant, according to court paperwork filed Wednesday.
Repairs to a U.S. 41 overpass in Appleton will cost $175,000, with the company that struck the bridge picking up the tab, the state said Wednesday.
We have new details in a story about Minneapolis police officers who got into trouble in Green Bay.
The man who will lead the Medical College of Wisconsin-Green Bay's campus was introduced Wednesday afternoon.
The village of Wrightstown plans to begin buying treated water from the city of Green Bay.