OSHKOSH - A neighbor was able to save a boy dropped from a window during what turned out to be a fatal house fire in Oshkosh.
The fire started in a duplex on Ohio Street late Wednesday night.
A family of four escaped the lower level of the home. The boy and a man who lived in the second story escaped through a window. But one person didn't make it.
Oshkosh police now say 25-year-old Theresa Schmitz died in that fire.
Kyle Shilts who lives across the street says he noticed the glow of the flames in his window.
"I came home and we saw the flames reflecting off that side of the house and we came outside and my roommate and I called 911."
Shilts says what happened next was something he never could have imagined.
"It was a lot of smoke coming out the top and a guy went and handed off his son out the window and we caught him and came over here."
Action that saved the life of a young boy who was able to escape the upstairs as the fire spread.
"We heard someone screaming first, like bloody murder," Shilts said.
Firefighters had to use ladders to access the second floor to locate Schmitz trapped inside.
"They were found in a closet upstairs, I would assume they got turned around in the smoke and that is very easy to do because the smoke in a fire is not like you see on TV," said John Holland, Oshkosh Fire Department fire prevention officer.
Holland said the duplex has major structural damage and may have to come down.
"When we got here there was a lot of fire coming out of the downstairs windows."
More than two dozen firefighters were able to contain the blaze before spreading to nearby homes. The state fire marshal's office is assisting in determining the cause. Holland says it started in the downstairs unit toward the back of the house and quickly spread.
Shilts says he was glad he was at the right place at the right time.
"Everyone would do the same thing, we called 911 but other people showed up to run into the burning house. They're doing their job and we were doing ours."
The fire department also says there were no working smoke detectors in either the first or second floor apartments of the house.
Green Bay Metro Fire Department crews are taking advantage of the closed Leo Frigo Bridge to get some training in today.
A panel of experts tasked with reviewing Outagamie County's response to a series of tornadoes that hit the county in August revealed its findings today.
A well-known engineering firm cut the ribbon Tuesday morning on its new corporate headquarters in De Pere.
After nine frustrating days for many hunters, the gun deer season ended with a decrease in deer killed across the state.
If you've been out on the roads this evening, you already know the snow provided some dangerous driving conditions.
Nine lucky Packers fans from across the country had the chance of a lifetime Tuesday. They attempted their best leaps in the Lambeau Field end zone.