GREEN BAY - Did you know that charging some types of batteries can set off your carbon monoxide detector?
The Green Bay Fire Department says that's what happened during two recent calls. They say the detectors went off because lead acid batteries were being charged in the homes. Those batteries are commonly found in cars, boats, riding lawn mowers, and motorcycles.
Fire officials say when lead acid batteries are charged, gases are emitted from the battery which can cause a CO detector to activate.
To safely charge your batteries, fire officials recommend doing it in a well-ventilated area, using the proper charging amperage, and only charge them when you're home and can keep an eye on them.
Also, if your CO detector goes off, call 911.
Explorers who removed a wooden slab from Lake Michigan this summer are taking an unusual step to determine whether it could have come from Le Griffon, a long-lost vessel from the 17th century.
A Green Bay-based beef processing company has submitted the minimum $12.75 million bid for an idled South Dakota plant, according to court paperwork filed Wednesday.
Repairs to a U.S. 41 overpass in Appleton will cost $175,000, with the company that struck the bridge picking up the tab, the state said Wednesday.
We have new details in a story about Minneapolis police officers who got into trouble in Green Bay.
The man who will lead the Medical College of Wisconsin-Green Bay's campus was introduced Wednesday afternoon.
The village of Wrightstown plans to begin buying treated water from the city of Green Bay.