DENVER (AP) — A suburban Denver man who was diagnosed with "popcorn lung," possibly from inhaling the artificial butter smell of the microwave popcorn he regularly ate, has won a $7.2 million verdict against various food companies.
Wayne Watson's attorney, Ken McClain, said a federal jury granted the award Wednesday against Gilster-Mary Lee Corp., The Kroger Co. and Dillon Companies Inc. after he developed respiratory problems in 2007.
Watson previously settled claims against the flavor developer FONA International Inc., formerly Flavors of North America Inc.
Watson argued the companies failed to warn consumers that inhaling the buttery aroma could put them at risk of lung injury.
KCNC-TV in Denver reports defense attorneys had argued Watson's health problems stemmed not from popcorn but from his years of working with carpet-cleaning chemicals.
Information from: KCNC-TV, http://www.cbs4denver.com
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Fond du Lac police have released more information about the weapons they found in the apartment of a man who was at the center of a five-hour standoff on Monday.
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation is announcing a public meeting has been scheduled to provide road closure and design information for the Velp Avenue interchange area.
FOX 11 Investigates takes a closer look at the property on the west side of Lambeau Field purchased by the Green Bay Packers.
More than $265,000 was donated to the Salvation Army of the Fox Cities as a result of last Friday's Thrivent Financial for Lutherans match day.
Two people are displaced after an apartment fire in Grand Chute.
A fire early Wednesday morning in downtown Ripon damaged three businesses and forced 26 people from their apartments.