BELOIT - This year’s college freshmen have always been able to plug into USB ports, have always watched the Olympics every two years and consider a first cell phone a rite of passage, but likely never had chicken pox, don’t remember much of Bill Clinton’s presidency and consider CDs to be an embarrassingly old technology.
So says the Beloit College Mindset List for the class of 2017.
For each of the past 15 years, professors Ron Nief and Tom McBride have created the list to help their colleagues relate to their new students.
This year’s list focuses on life since 1995, when most 18-year-olds were born.
Other highlights of the 60-item list include:
- Eminem and LL Cool J could show up at parents’ weekend.
- GM means food that is Genetically Modified.
- As they slept safely in their cribs, the Oklahoma City bomber and the Unabomber were doing their deadly work.
- They may have been introduced to video games with a new Sony PlayStation left in their cribs by their moms.
- They could always get rid of their outdated toys on eBay.
The Appleton Police Department is investigating a shooting at a downtown bar.
Single-digit temperatures and light snow are greeting Green Bay Packers fans at Lambeau Field.
A celebration at the nation's first school forest is sending Laona students back to their roots.
Several fire departments battling a shed fire in Abrams.
An armed robbery suspect sustained life-threatening injuries after being shot in Fond du Lac County.
First responders helped ring in the holidays at the 45th annual Howard-Suamico Christmas Parade.