MADISON - The University of Wisconsin men's basketball team announced the non-conference portion of its 2012-13 schedule Thursday, including nine home games and the pairings for the Las Vegas Invitational.
The Badgers' early-season slate will feature six games against teams who qualified for the 2012 postseason, with five coming against teams from the 2012 NCAA Tournament field (California, Creighton, Florida, Marquette and Virginia).
Wisconsin will travel to the Las Vegas Invitational for a holiday tournament on Nov. 23-24, facing Creighton in the semifinals at Orleans Arena. The Badgers will take on the Bluejays, and their All-American forward Doug McDermott (22.9 ppg and 8.2 rpg in 2011-12), on Nov. 23 on either ESPN2 or ESPNU. UW will then face either Arizona State or Arkansas on Nov. 24.
The Big Ten schedule is set to be announced in August.
NON-CON SCHEDULE NOTES
- Nov. 7 - Exhibition vs. UW-Oshkosh (Kohl Center). Badgers will tip off the preseason against a WIAC opponent for the eighth-consecutive season ... for second-consecutive season, UW will have just one exhibition game.
- Nov. 11 vs. Southeastern Louisiana (Kohl Center). UW has never faced the Lions ... Badgers have won 10 straight season-openers.
- Nov. 14 at Florida (O'Connell Center, Gainesville, Fla.). Wisconsin's first road trip of the season ... this is the first game of a home-and-home series as Florida will play at the Kohl Center in 2013 ... first meeting with Florida since going 1-1 vs. Gators in home-and-home series in 1967 and 1968 ... Florida went 26-11 last season and has reached the Elite Eight in each of the last two seasons ... the Gators are ranked No. 9 in ESPN's preseason top-25 poll.
- Nov. 18 vs. Cornell (Kohl Center).First and second-round games of the 2012 Las Vegas Invitational are being held at the host institutions ... in the only previous meeting, the Big Red knocked UW from the 2010 NCAA tournament with a second-round win in Jacksonville, Fla.
- Nov. 20 vs. Presbyterian (Kohl Center). First and second round games of the 2012 Las Vegas Invitational are being held at the host institutions ... this marks the first-ever meeting between Wisconsin and Presbyterian ... the Blue Hoes made the transition to Div. 1 in 2007-08.
- Nov. 23 vs. Creighton (Las Vegas Invitational - Orleans Arena - 9 p.m. CT - ESPN2/ESPNU). Semifinal matchup of the 2012 Las Vegas Invitational ... UW and Creighton have met once previously, with the Badgers claiming a 75-39 win in 1949 ... Creighton is ranked No. 18 in ESPN's preseason top-25.
- Nov. 24 vs. Arizona State/Arkansas (Las Vegas Invitational - Orleans Arena - 7/10 p.m. CT). Championship or consolation game of the 2012 Las Vegas Invitational ... Wisconsin has never played Arizona State or Arkansas.
- Nov. 28 vs. Virginia (Kohl Center). Big Ten/ACC Challenge ... UW is 1-1 vs. Virginia all-time, but the two have not met since a 66-56 Wisconsin win in 1998 ... the Badgers are 6-7 in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge, including a mark of 4-1 at the Kohl Center ... Virginia is 7-5 in the Challenge, but just 2-4 away from home ... first meeting between Bo Ryan and his former assistant coach Tony Bennett (now head coach at UVA).
- Dec. 2 vs. California (Kohl Center). This is the first game of a home-and-home series as Wisconsin will make a return trip to California in the 2014-15 season ... Cal leads the all-time series 5-2 against the Badgers, but the schools have not met since 1986 ... UW has not faced a Pac-12 opponent since recording a 65-61 over Arizona in the 2009 Maui Invitational.
- Dec. 4 vs. Nebraska-Omaha (Kohl Center). UW has never faced Nebraska-Omaha.
- Dec. 8 at Marquette (BMO Harris Bradley Center, Milwaukee). The I-94 series continues as UW travels to Marquette ... the Badgers and Golden Eagles have played every year but one since the 1958-59 season (did not play in 1984-85) ... Wisconsin has won in two of its last three visits to the Bradley Center, including its most recent trip in 2010.
- Dec. 12 vs. Green Bay (Kohl Center). UW has played Green Bay every year since 1999 and owns a perfect 15-0 home record against the Phoenix ... this marks UW's last game before final exams on campus.
- Dec. 22 vs. Milwaukee (Kohl Center). UW has played Milwaukee every season since 1992, boasting an all-time mark of 28-1 against the Panthers.
- Dec. 29 vs. Samford (Kohl Center). Wisconsin's final non-conference game ... will be the initial contest between UW and Samford.
First responders helped ring in the holidays at the 45th annual Howard-Suamico Christmas Parade.
Christmas is just two and half weeks away, and kids and families are getting into the holiday spirit.
Single digit temps around the area caused problems in the Fox Valley Saturday morning.
The frigid temperatures forced some area communities to cancel their weekend Christmas celebrations. But New London braved the cold for its annual Holiday of Wonder Parade.
Maybe it's the weather. Maybe it's all of the injuries, but many Packers fans are saying "no thanks," to this weekend's Packers game.
With only a little snow on the ground in places, snowmobilers are ready for more. In the Lakewood area, trails are not yet open, but clubs are gearing up for an early start to the season.