GREEN BAY - Through three weeks of the season not much happened atop the FOX 11 Top 11 football poll, but after last week that has changed.
Wrightstown, ranked No. 2 last week, saw its 17-game winning streak come to an end when it lost at Chilton. Wrightstown's loss means there is a change near the top of the poll and now the Tigers' view of the No. 1 spot, occupied by West De Pere, might need binoculars.
Wrightstown tumbled seven spots to No. 9 this week and the new No. 2 is not last week's No. 3. St. Mary's Springs remains at No. 3 and the new No. 2 is Green Bay Southwest, which moves from No. 4.
The Trojans have been impressive this season and share the Fox River Classic Conference lead with No. 7 Bay Port and No. 8 Green Bay Preble.
Also, for the first time this season, the poll didn't lose any teams. Wrightstown was the only ranked team to lose. Wrightstown has a chance to improve its ranking for next week, however, as it hosts No. 4 Brillion in a key Olympian-Packerland Large game.
Another key game involving a ranked team has No. 11 Little Chute traveling to Waupaca in a battle of the only undefeated teams left in the Eastern Valley Conference.
Breakdown of conference teams in the poll:
- FRCC (3): Green Bay Southwest, Bay Port, Green Bay Preble.
- Bay (2): West De Pere, Seymour.
- Olympian-Packerland Large (2): Brillion, Wrightstown.
- VFA (2): Appleton North, Kimberly.
- Flyway (1): St. Mary's Springs.
- Eastern Valley (1): Little Chute.
Here's the Week 5 poll:
- 1. West De Pere (4-0): Phantoms just keep on rolling. Week 5: host Shawano. Last week: No. 1.
- 2. Green Bay Southwest (4-0): Trojans defense just not interested in allowing points. Week 5: host Notre Dame. Last week: No. 4.
- 3. St. Mary's Springs (4-0): Ledgers dominating the Flyway Conference. Week 5: host Omro. Last week: No. 3.
- 4. Brillion (4-0): Lions have tough test at Wrightstown on Friday. Week 5: at Wrightstown. Last week: No. 5.
- 5. Appleton North (4-0): Lightning suffer two season-ending injuries last week. Week 5: at Kaukauna. Last week: No. 7.
- 6. Kimberly (4-0): Papermakers and QB Ben Diedrich just scoring points. Week 5: at Wausau West. Last week: No. 8.
- 7. Bay Port (4-0): Pirates could be best balanced team in the FRCC. Week 5: host Green Bay West. Last week: No. 9.
- 8. Green Bay Preble (4-0): Hornets score final 20 points in comeback win over Pulaski. Week 5: host Sheboygan North. Last week: No. 9.
- 9. Wrightstown (3-1): Tigers looking to avoid two-game losing streak. Week 5: host No. 4 Brillion. Last week: No. 2.
- 10. Seymour (4-0): Thunder plays its only noconference game of season Friday. Week 5: host Ripon. Last week: No. 10.
- 11. Little Chute (4-0): Mustangs winning big but can they win at Waupaca? Week 5: at Waupaca. Last week: No. 11.
Dropped out: None.
Knocking on the door: Waupaca (4-0), Chilton (4-0).
Follow Doug Ritchay on Twitter @dougritchay
An overheated chimney is being blamed for a fire that damaged a Howard home Wednesday morning.
Police searching the apartment where a 40-year-old man held officers in a standoff turned up weapons but no explosives.
A Wisconsin historical site will offer history lovers a chance to prepare a 19th-century meal next month.
FOX 11 Investigates takes a closer look at the property on the west side of Lambeau Field purchased by the Green Bay Packers.
Ninety children from nearly 60 different families were able to go shopping on Monday, to find Christmas presents for their loved ones.
Any way you slice it, it's beyond cold at this Christmas tree lot in Ashwaubenon—and everywhere else in Northeast Wisconsin.