GREEN BAY - How time flies. This week of high school football is the 50-yard line of the season, or the halfway point.
Week 4 has some interesting games as teams start thinking conference title or playoff position.
Of course, the best teams in the area are thinking conference title, including West De Pere, which once again is ranked No. 1 in this week's FOX 11 Top 11 poll. The Phantoms host Luxemburg-Casco, and can the Spartans slow down the top-scoring team in the state? Stay tuned.
Meanwhile, No. 2 Wrightstown and No. 5 Brillion, co-leaders in the Olympian-Packerland Large, each have tough road tests this week before they see each other in Week 5. It's possible Brillion and Wrightstown make it to 4-0, but if both lose, we're looking at least at three teams at 3-1 in the O-P Large and Chilton at 4-0.
Also, there's a Valley Football Association North Division game that needs to be watched and that's No 7 Kimberly hosting Appleton East in a battle of undefeated teams. The Papermakers' offense has been better than any other team in the state, scoring-wise, except West De Pere.
Lastly, the poll has two new teams. Shiocton and Coleman left the poll after big losses and were replaced by Green Bay Preble and Seymour, both of which are contending for conference titles.
Here's the Week 4 poll:
- 1. West De Pere (3-0): Phantoms lead state in scoring at 58.3 points per game. Week 4: host Luxemburg-Casco. Last week: No. 1.
- 2. Wrightstown (3-0): Tigers have big test this week in Olympian-Packerland Large. Week 4: at Chilton. Last week: No. 2.
- 3. St. Mary's Springs (3-0): Ledgers third in state, averaging 49.3 ppg. Week 4: host North Fond du Lac. Last week: No. 3.
- 4. Green Bay Southwest (3-0): Trojans survive against Pulaski, 22-15. Week 4: at Sheboygan North. Last week: No. 4.
- 5. Brillion (3-0): Lions have big road test at Jets, who suffered first loss last week. Week 4: at Roncalli (Saturday). Last week: No. 6.
- 6. Appleton North (3-0): Lightning opened home season last week with 49-0 win. Week 4: host Wausau West. Last week: No. 7.
- 7. Kimberly (3-0): Papermakers averaging 51.7 ppg., 2nd in state. Week 4: host Appleton East. Last week: No. 8.
- 8. Bay Port (3-0): Pirates have scored at least 31 points in every game. Week 4: at Green Bay East. Last week: No. 9.
- 9. Green Bay Preble (3-0): Jake Wallenfang running wild over every defense he sees. Week 4: at Pulaski. Last week: unranked.
- 10. Seymour (3-0): Thunder won ugly last week, but it won. Week 4: host Shawano. Last week: No. 10.
- 11. Little Chute (3-0): Mustangs a surprise co-leader in Eastern Valley. Week 4: host Winneconne. Last week: unranked.
Dropped out: No. 5 Shiocton, lost, 20-0, to Amherst. No. 10 Coleman (2-1), lost, 42-6, to Peshtigo.
Follow Doug Ritchay on Twitter @dougritchay
Single digit temps around the area caused problems in the Fox Valley Saturday morning.
The frigid temperatures forced some area communities to cancel their weekend Christmas celebrations. But New London braved the cold for its annual Holiday of Wonder Parade.
Maybe it's the weather. Maybe it's all of the injuries, but many Packers fans are saying "no thanks," to this weekend's Packers game.
With only a little snow on the ground in places, snowmobilers are ready for more. In the Lakewood area, trails are not yet open, but clubs are gearing up for an early start to the season.
Marinette Marine is preparing to christen one of its Littoral Combat Ships.
A survey of local businesses looked at employee numbers and overall outlook for the coming year.