GREEN BAY - The first week of high school football is in the books and here's what we learned: West De Pere remains impressive, while Wrightstown and St. Mary's Springs also don't look too bad.
However, the defending state champs from our area weren't the only ones to make some noise. Green Bay Southwest took out Manitowoc, 20-10, in a key early-season Fox River Classic Conference game which arguably makes Southwest the team to beat in the FRCC.
With big wins, those teams remain in the top half of the FOX 11 Top 11 poll, but there was some shuffling after then-No. 9 Manitowoc lost. The Ships fell out of the poll and were replaced. Here's Week 2 of the poll:
FOX 11 Top 11 Football Poll
- 1. West De Pere (1-0): Phantoms once again look dominant in 56-13 win over Xavier. Week 2: host Oconto Falls. Last week: No. 1.
- 2. Wrightstown (1-0): Tigers make statement with 30-7 win over Kewaunee. Week 2: at Valders. Last week: No. 2.
- 3. St. Mary's Springs (1-0): Ledgers open with easy Week 1 win. Week 2: at Winnebago Lutheran Academy. Last week: No. 3.
- 4. Green Bay Southwest (1-0): Trojans make statement with win over Manitowoc. Week 2: at Ashwaubenon. Last week: No. 5.
- 5. Shiocton (1-0): Chiefs had impressive 64-0 win in Week 1. Week 2: host Manawa. Last week: No. 4.
- 6. Brillion (1-0): Lions win shootout over Southern Door, 63-37. Week 2: at Oconto. Last week: No. 6.
- 7. Appleton North (1-0): Lightning had easy win at Appleton North in Week 1. Week 2: at D.C. Everest. Last week: No. 7.
- 8. Kimberly (1-0): Papermakers shred Neenah in opener Week 2: at Wausau East. Last week: No. 8.
- 9. Pulaski (1-0): Red Raiders score 57 points with new coach Jed Kennedy. Week 2: host Bay Port. Last week: unranked.
- 10. Luxemburg-Casco (1-0): Spartans roll New London in first game. Week 2: at Seymour. Last week: No. 10
- 11. Coleman (1-0): Cougars run all over Sevastopol 42-7.Week 2: at Gillett. Last week: No. 11.
Dropped out: No. 9 Manitowoc (0-1), lost at Green Bay Southwest, 20-10.
Follow Doug Ritchay on Twitter @dougritchay
A survey of local businesses looked at employee numbers and overall outlook for the coming year.
Those who do go to the Packers-Falcons game Sunday will help honor a green and gold legend.
The cold caused some problems in the Fox Valley Friday.
A donation from an area bank will be making a difference in the years to come for Green Bay East High School.
A Pearl Harbor survivor was given a special honor Friday morning at Green Bay East High School.
You hear about dangerous situations more frequently lately, from the Boston Marathon bombing to the Sikh temple shooting near Milwaukee. What would happen if you were at a concert or a game, and something terrible took place? We look at …