Last week it appeared the top-ranked team in the FOX 11 Top 11 poll would have its ranking challenged when No. 1 Kimberly hosted then-No. 5 Appleton North, which had won the previous four games between the teams.
As it turns out, nothing was in jeopardy for the Papermakers, who lived up to their ranking with a resounding 49-14 win over North, preserving their ranking. The Papermakers proved their worth and easily holds onto the top spot in this week’s poll.
Meanwhile, North tumbled six spots, but at least still is ranked at No. 11.
With North’s loss, there’s a new member in the Top 5 and it is Bay Port, which this week will have its perfect record and ranking on the line with a trip to No. 7 Ashwaubenon in the GameTime Game of the Week.
One team left the poll this week, Chilton, which dropped a 41-10 decision to Kewaunee, which enters the poll at No. 10.
Here’s how this week’s poll looks:
FOX 11 Top 11
1. Kimberly (6-0): Last week – beat Appleton North 49-14. Papermakers leave no question about team to beat in VFA North. This week – at Wausau West.
2. Waupaca (6-0): Last week – beat Clintonville 53-0. Comets have trap game this week with Xavier visiting in Week 8. This week – at Little Chute.
3. St. Mary's Springs (6-0): Last week – beat Laconia 37-13. Ledgers’ 24-point win last week their closest game of the season. This week – at North Fond du Lac.
4. West De Pere (6-0): Last week – beat New London 45-0. Phantoms face first stiff test of the season this week. This week at Seymour.
5. Bay Port (6-0): Last week – beat Green Bay West 49-13. Blair Van Ess proving to be great target in passing game. This week: at Ashwaubenon.
6. Xavier (6-0): Last week – beat Freedom 32-14. Hawks’ passing game slowed last week, but they still won. This week – host Winneconne.
7. Ashwaubenon (6-0): Last week – beat Pulaski 48-7. After three blowouts things get tougher this week in GameTime Game of the Week. This week – host Bay Port.
8. Hortonville (6-0): Last week – beat Marinette 48-0. Last touchdown scored against the Polar Bears was in 2012. This week – host Luxemburg-Casco.
9. Oshkosh North (6-0): Last week – beat Fond du Lac 42-14. Spartans making it look easy in VFA South games. This week – host Neenah.
10. Kewaunee (6-0): Last week: beat Chilton 41-10. Storm made statement with blowout road win last week. This week: host Southern Door
11. Appleton North (5-1): Last week – lost to Kimberly 49-14. Lightning shocked the way it lost to Kimberly. This week – at Appleton West.
—Dropped out: No. 8 Chilton (5-1): Last week: lost to Kewaunee, 41-10.
Follow Doug Ritchay on Twitter @dougritchay
On Wednesday, a state committee will release its recommendations on what Wisconsin should do with the Common Core standards.
Cheers for a big check at an Appleton elementary school.
The victim in a weekend shooting at an Appleton night club has died, according to Appleton police.
The possibility of a Walmart store in downtown Green Bay is still alive.
Driving instructors and law enforcement say lessons can be learned from Sunday’s massive pileup northwest of Milwaukee.
The village of Allouez has received a request from the owner of the Hilltop Apartments site to build a 48-unit apartment complex on the site of the burnt-out apartments.